Thursday, September 17, 2009

Feeling a bit helpless tonight.

Jess has had a rotten day, which resulted in her being rushed to A&E and from there being transferred to ICU. She is now on the main ward and doing a bit better.

I remember this bit so much. Well actually I can't, I was never as ill as Jess I don't think....well my lung function never went as low as hers if that's any judge. But I remember my last few months of waiting. The effort it was just to keep on breathing. It felt like I'd been walking for months and months with no rest and that one more step felt like such an impossible task...only I wasn't walking, I was breathing. And you can't take a break from breathing.

I know what's keeping Jess going. It's hope; the hope of a transplant, of a new life, of being able to breathe. And people - people kept me going so much. Oh and stubbornness (a fab trait to have when all the docs shake their heads at you).

I don't know what to do. The reality is, there is nothing I can do. I can wish as hard as I can, try and be there for Jess, I can shout about organ donation, I can push myself even harder to try and spread the word. But all that can save Jess is that call. She needs it now. To be honest she needed it yesterday, but now will do. Please.

Who am I talking to? I don't know. Want to do something? Repost this. Or post something, anything, about organ donation and how to sign up (and why) anywhere you can.

Thank you.

4 comments:

Molly said...

I've never met Jess, but I've heard so much about her. She sounds such a fighter, but I really hope that her call comes soon. Jess is in my thoughts.

Moll x x

Unknown said...

hope Jess gets that call vvv soon.

Kat said...

I hope she's still doing ok (as ok as can be) and gets the call soon. It was a pleasure to meet her at the 5k,and she did so well! Fingers crossed for a call as soon as possible! Love xxx

ChrisB said...

Well done on the GMTV interview. I missed it on TV but seeing you mention it on twitter I looked it up on YouTube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzcmS_fNJDc). I really hope that Jess is doing ok and gets that call!